Mountain Transport Institute Ltd (MTI) has been training temporary foreign workers since 2011 from a variety of locations around the world. Professional Truck Drivers are in high demand in Canada, some trucking companies have active LMIA’s and are hiring foreign drivers. Which companies are hiring and how many drivers are needed is constantly changing. Foreign drivers must be sponsored by a trucking company to receive a work permit as a Temporary Foreign Worker to work legally in Canada. MTI offers training for drivers who have a work permit to gain the required credentials to work in Canada. It’s important to remember that you are coming to a new country and the rules for driving and trucking may be different than what you are used to. Employers expect you to be able to perform to Canadian standards and this will require you to learn new information, adapt your skills and behave in a Professional manner at all times.
You are eligible for our “Welcome to Canada” training program if you have been hired by a Canadian trucking company, hold a valid work permit and need to get licensed and prepared for trucking in Canada. This program takes approximately 2 weeks to complete once you arrive at MTI. Study and memorization of materials prior to leaving your home country is also required.
- Access to study materials for the government exams prior to leaving your home country
- Online pre test for government exams prior to leaving your home country
- Access to Pre Trip Inspection system prior to leaving your Country
- Arrangement to write government exams upon arrival in Canada
- Arrangement to complete mandatory Driver Medical upon arrival in Canada
- BC Air Brakes Course
- Smart Driver for Highway Trucking Course (driving for fuel economy)
- Axle Weights / Load Distribution Course
- Basic Load Securement Course
- Hours of Service / Log Book Course
- Defensive Driving Course
- Installation and maintenance of Tire Chains
- Pre Trip, enroute and post trip inspection procedures
- Coupling and Uncoupling procedures
- Up to 20 hours of training time in the trucks, including:
- Proving knowledge and ability to shift a non synchronized (Eaton / Fuller) Transmission
- Pulling 53 foot trailers safely and efficiently
- Safely backing 53 foot trailers
- Government Road Test
- Proving knowledge and ability to drive defensively in all situations
- Proving knowledge and ability to drive a loaded tractor trailer in mountains and hills
Package Price is $3,500.00 Cdn
Tuition is payable in advance of your training program beginning.
If additional training time is required in the trucks to learn or master skills additional charges will apply, charged at an hourly rate. If you have no previous skills with shifting a non synchronized transmission you should consider taking our 6 week training program.